bc 80, VT 59 FINAL: VT ended up just tying in the 2nd half. Hokies get a break mid-week this week, off until next Saturday. I think that is a good thing, we need to re-tool. I picked bc to win this game in my midseason recap, not sure why I was so optimistic today. Oh well.
bc 72, VT 56 – 3:11 (2): What a dunk by Deron over 6’11” Blair, but it is too little too late. A positive we can take out of this is how we played in the 2nd half. We just need this level of energy to start the uva game next Saturday.
bc 64, VT 50 – 7:08 (2): We are going to run out of gas soon. Expending too much energy. Geez, how many 5 foot and in shots have we missed today?
bc 57, VT 43 – 11:21 (2): I can sum up this game in one shot: Gordon air-balled a 12 footer. Vassallo’s missed 3 might have broken our backs… that would have cut it to 11. Deron out with 4 fouls. Just dug too big of a hole. Did we think this game started at 2 PM?
bc 51, VT 35 – 15:24 (2): WOW! We finally start getting out in transition and driving and dishing and doing the things we needed to do to win this. Hmm… where was this an hour ago?
bc 47, VT 26 – END FIRST HALF: Woodshed. bc is 2nd to last in the ACC in 3’s made per game and 3 point % and they go 8/15 (53%). Unbelievable. And most of them were wide open looks. Even with Dudley on the bench the last 5 minutes, they increased their lead. Worst effort of the year for VT other than the marshall 1st half.
Leading Scorers: VT – Dowdell (9), Gordon/Collins (6), bc – Dudley (16), Rice (11)
Offensive Rebounds: VT – 5, bc 7; FG% – VT – 48%, bc – 53%; Turnovers: VT – 8, bc – 3
bc 41, VT 18 – 3:36 (1): Who cares if Dudley has 3 fouls, we are getting shedded. 20-2 run by bc finally over. We stink on O. We stink on D. We can’t rebound. We can’t do diddly-poo. bc has 6 3’s… more than they average for a whole game.
bc 31, VT 14 – 7:50 (1): Dudley has 14 already and they are on a 12-0 run. Looks like our last trip to boston (football).
bc 21, VT 14 – 11:04 (1): Good to see A.D. hit his first 3, but we are missing easy shots like against state. Does the other team have a power play when we put Munson in? Too slow on D and too many turnovers. bc has 4 or 5 offensive boards already, and they’ve hit 3 3’s already (they only make 5.5 per game). Not sure the zone is a good idea because it is hard to rebound out of a zone if you don’t find a man and box out. But we weren’t counting on them hitting 3’s.
bc 10, VT 5 – 15:55 (1): bc is getting WIDE open looks on O. At least we got 2 defensive rebounds. Dowdell has all 5 for us and Gordon looks aggressive going to the tin today… a good sign.
bc 10, VT 1 – 17:37 (1): Ouch. I like the press. We are more athletic. But we gave up an offensive rebound on their 1st 2 possessions. Not a good sign. I like our intensity, though, we’ll come back.
Here we go! Time to wash the stink off from Wednesday night. Need a good start. In most of our wins (minus unc), we had a great start. Need that for a confidence builder.
Crap, Tim Brandt is doing this game… what a terp homer. I hate his “are you kidding me?” catch phrase, which he will use at least twice today. They are playing Enter Sandman? Yes, they are, wow!
Spread: bc by 2
Note: bc is unveiling their 3rd jerseys – GOLD – for today’s game.Â I guess it is an honor they chose us for this event?Â
Now, before we get to the action (which I will be walking you through), let’s look at how the two lineups compare:
- PG: Dowdell 6’3″ (18.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.6 apg, 2.4 spg) vs Rice 6’1″ (16.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 6.1 apg) – EDGE – slight VT – I say slight because Rice is a very talented guard from Richmond who dishes well and can shoot the long ball.Â He just doesn’t have the experience or accuracy that Dowdell does, and some of Rice’s assists you can attribute to the fact he has Dudley inside, a luxury Z doesn’t have.
- SG: Gordon 6’3″ (11.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 4.4 apg, 2.5 spg) vs Marshall 6’6″ (15.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.1 apg) – EDGE – DRAW – Both are seniors, but Marshall is a better scorer and better rebounder.Â Gordon is a better defender.Â Both shoot similar percentages, but Marshall takes some bad shots.
- F: Washington 6’7″ (11.2 ppg, 5.2 rpg) vs Spears 6’6″ (8.6 ppg, 6.2 rpg) – EDGE – slight VT – Deron is much more athletic than Spears, but Spears is a big body that could push Deron around.Â Washington will have to use his athleticism to get out on the break and do his best flopping job to draw charges and over the backs.Â Spears is looking to hit the offensive glass to get his points.
- F: Witcher 6’9″ (3.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg) vs Dudley 6’7″ (18.9 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 3.2 apg) – EDGE – HUGE bc – Dudley is a potential player of the year in the ACC.Â #2 in points and #1 in boards, and still passes well.Â Witcher and Collins and Diakite are going to have to battle him all day long.Â He owned VT last year averaging 21 points in the two games.Â Big men give us fits, and controllingÂ Dudley is VT’s key to success.
- C: Collins 6’9″ (8.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg) vs Oates 6’10” (4.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg) – EDGE – VT – Oates is a guy who likes to face the basket.Â Does not have good post moves and is not very physical.Â Can shoot the three.Â The Hokies need Coleman to snap out of his funk (he has not made a non-dunk in the last two games) and battle inside.
- Bench: bc will only play Haynes (a 6’3″ guard) and Blair (a 6’11” big man) off their bench.Â Neither scores much, they are just eating minutes.Â Haynes is a decent outside shooter.Â VT will need Vassallo to have a big game.Â He averages 13 points in our ACC wins, and just 4.5 in our losses.Â Diakite will have to help inside in case our big men get in foul trouble.Â Munson has looked like a freshman lately and needs to be more productive in his minutes.Â Expect Tucker to get some time too as I expect us to be in foul trouble inside.Â EDGE – VT
Prediction: VT 69, bc 64 – Last year we lost by just 1 and 2 in the two games.Â This is a different Hokie team.Â The eagles will try and be very physical with Tech, but I think the Hokies will respond after their poor performance on Wednesday.Â If Dudley goes ape, like he did last year, bc wins this.Â But without Williams for bc (kicked off team), I think the Hokies will be able to slow Dudley down enough to win this. Tech has to avoid foul trouble inside and box Dudley and Spears out.Â Our guards will need to penetrate and score or feed it to the low post guys for easy buckets, taking advantage of the fact Williams’s 5 blocks per game are gone.Â Â VT is quicker and will need to get points in transition. Â I also expect A.D. to have a better game for us and our bench can be the difference.