The Hokies used a 19-3 run in the opening 5+ minutes of the second half to blow out the boston college eagles by a final score of 67-48. It marks the first time that the Hokies have swept bc EVER. bc couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn tonight, and had very little second chance opportunities as Tech out-rebounded bc 46-31.
It took the Hokies 20 minutes to break out of the same offensive funk that bc found itself in for the whole game. The first field goal did not occur until 15:52 left in the half. A.D. Vassallo did not score his first points until the second half. In fact, A.D. only took three shots in the first half. Vassallo ended up with 12 points, 2 of 4 from behind the arc.
The highlights tonight were from the post players. Jeff Allen recorded his second double-double in ACC play in his first opportunity to play against bc with 13 points and 10 boards. J.T. Thompson who had a break out game the last time the Hokies beat the eagles, also came up big tonight with 13 points and 5 boards in only 18 minutes. Thompson appears to be taking the torch from Deron when it comes to monster dunks. He had a couple nice ones in the second half tonight, including one that resulted in a warning from the refs after Thompson hung on the rim slightly longer than necessary. It was sweet though. Lewis Witcher, who got the start tonight, was active on both ends of the court. Witcher had 6 points, 5 boards, and 4 blocks.
Niemoâ€™s Notes (Presented by Niemo):
- The second half of this game was dÃ©jÃ vu of the second half in last yearâ€™s bc @ VT game where VT just blew the doors off the eagles to start the half.
- The Hokies are 11-0 when leading at the half, including 4-0 in ACC play (yes, thatâ€™s right, theyâ€™ve only led at the half in 4 of the 14 ACC games and 2 were against bc).
- Other victory formula? Win/tie the rebounding margin, turnover margin, and free throw attempt battle. VT won/tied all three categories tonight: +17 on rebounds, tied on turnovers, and +4 on free throw attempts. VT is 6-0 when winning/tying all three in ACC play.
- Hank Thorns had a career high 7 assists. That is just 1 behind Malcolm Delaneyâ€™s team season high 8 assists against charleston southern.
- Jeff Allen had his eighth double-double and second in ACC play. He has two in his last three games. With his 2 steals tonight, he is 2 steals away from setting the VT freshman record for steals.
- Deron Washingtonâ€™s 10 points moved him into the #20 spot on the VT career scoring list. He will move into the #19 spot with his next 2 points. His shot selection has been much better the last several games.
- VT continues to push the tempo. They outscored bc 19-6 on fastbreak points. In the first half, the results werenâ€™t positive, but in the second half, VT destroyed a tired, thin bc team on the break and got several easy dunks.
- The Hokies only had 8 turnovers in 45 minutes at bc. Tech had 6 turnovers in the first 7 minutes tonight, but settled down and only had 14 turnovers for the game.
- Iâ€™m going out on a limb and guessing Lewis Witcherâ€™s 4 blocks were a season high. He also had 6 points and 5 rebounds and played a solid game.
- VT is now 8-15 in ACC games all time decided by 10+ points.
- Tech had 50+ rebounds in both games against bc, the only times all season theyâ€™ve passed that mark.
- Downside: VT was only 2/13 on threes. Guys not named Vassallo were 0/9.
- Good: bc shot just 31%. This looked like the Hokie D from earlier in the season.
- Down: Jeff Allen, despite still being over 50% on FGs for the season, is just 15/46 in his last four games.
- Good: VT was -50 in rebounding margin in their recent 3 game losing streak, but are +36 in their 3 game winning streak.
- REALLY Good: VT is 8-6 in ACC play. Amazing. Seriously, amazing. If they can win at home against wake on Senior Night next Tuesday (they have this weekend off), this team picked to finish 10th will lock up a winning record in ACC play. If VT does that, just go ahead and give Seth the ACC COY trophy then.