Yet again this week the conference action left you wondering if anyone wants to win the league or even get a first round bye in the ACC Tournament. clemson, who I had #2 coming into the week, lost both their games. duke, who I thought was a solid #1, lost in Raleigh to a crappy nc state team. And georgia tech, who I was going to move up to #2 after beating clemson at home, proved yet again that Paul Hewitt has no idea how to win outside of Atlanta when they lost at fsu on Sunday (the noles swept the jackets). Hewitt and his jackets are now 6-29 over the last five seasons on the road in ACC play.
Games were not as competitive this week. After close bc over miami and gt over clemson games on Tuesday, five of the final seven ACC games of the week were decided by double digits.
uva finally lost, getting blown out at wake thanks to foul trouble for star Landesberg. And they almost lost at home to a lousy unc-wilmington team. Still not buying into them as a contender.
At the bottom, I said whomever lost the miami-bc game would go to the #12. And the u earned that last place moniker by blowing a 17-point second half lead to get swept by the eagles.
With each ACC team having played between four and six games, uva and maryland sit in first place, both at 3-1. Ugh, even though it is early and won’t last, it still stings my eyes to see that.
Here is what I think the ACC rankings should be right now:
- to 9. everyone but bc, nc state, and miami, whom I have 10 to 12.
But let’s go ahead and rank the teams just for the heck of it. Movement since last week’s poll is as follows: ^ = moving up, – = same, v = moving down.
- duke (4-2) (-): lost at nc state, won at clemson
- maryland (3-1) (^^): won OOC, won vs. nc state
- wake forest (4-2) (^^): won at unc, won vs. uva
- clemson (3-3) (v): lost at gt, lost vs. duke
- georgia tech (3-3) (-) – won a home nail-biter vs. clemson, lost a nail-biter at fsu
- unc (1-3) (vv) – blown out by wake at home, but to be fair, didn’t have Zeller or Davis
- florida state (3-2) (^): won vs. gt
- Virginia Tech (2-2) (v): won OOC, won vs. bc
- uva (3-1) (-): won OOC, lost at wake
- nc state (2-4) (^): won vs. duke, lost at maryland
- boston college (2-4) (^): won at miami, lost at VT
- miami (1-4) (v): lost vs. bc
That said, you’d probably have a better shot right now of picking the final ACC standings if you grabbed my flat-brim VT hat, threw each school’s name in the hat, and saw what you got (that is about as scientific as I think you can be right now).