Greenberg said it best after the game, “We own overtime.”
The Hokies won for the second time in their last three visits to the port-a-john (both went an extra session) with an amazing 5 point victory in overtime over uva, 76-71. The Hokies trailed 62-52 with less than 3 minutes to play and then went on a 13-0 run to take the lead with 30 seconds to go. Tech played great defense in the final possession, but sammy zeslenski hit a desperation 3 with 1.3 seconds to send the game into overtime.
But the Hokies are money in OT. Led by some clutch free throw shooting by J.T. Thompson, the Hokies won their 6th straight overtime game (according to Niemo – see more below for notes on VT’s OT dominance).
I’m not sure how we won this game thanks to some questionable calls by the refs (I’m being nice here). Jeff Allen was ejected for throwing an elbow in the second half, which for a while seemed like the turning point for the hoos. The ejection seemed ridonkulous from the stands. I could understand a T, but an ejection? But, in both halves, we went on spurts in the final minutes to turn a double digit deficit into leads. The Hokies trailed 22-10 in the first half, but outscored uva 18-5 to lead by one at the intermission.
Malcolm Delaney led the Hokies with 27 points. Dorenzo Hudson scored 18 and J.T. Thompson had 17.
On a personal note, this victory is especially sweet as a resident of Ch-ville. It was great to see so many Hokies at the game tonight, including the entire TechHoops.com team. More analysis later. I am writing this in BW3s and need to finish my beer.
Niemo’s Notes are below…
- First thing I did when I got home from ch-ville is re-watch the ejection on Jeff Allen. Just like I thought, it was complete BS. Some people have reputations, and in this case, I think Allen’s reputation cost him (he’s been suspended each of his first two years, once by the ACC for bumping a ref, once by VT for flicking off maryland which cost him the uva game last year). He swung his elbow, yes, but he wasn’t even looking at the guy he hit. Flagrant foul? Maybe. Ejection? No way. If he is suspended for the miami game, I’m pooping in an envelope and mailing it to Commish Swafford.
- Let me second Wick’s thoughts that I have no idea how we won this game. We owned the last 5 minutes of all three periods, while uva dominated the other 30 minutes.
- Chew on this… uva outscored VT in the first 15 minutes of both halves (more or less) by a margin of 55-32. The Hokies outscored the hoos in the final 5 minutes (more or less) of both halves by a 33-10 margin.
- Chew on this Part II: Tech hit 8 of their final 10 (80%) shots in the first half after making just 5 of their first 19 (26%). VT hit 4 of their last 5 in the 2nd half (80% again) after hitting just 8 of 22 (36%) to start the half. And then they hit 3 of 6 in OT. The Hokies got it done when they had to.
- IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW, THE HOKIES OWN OVERTIME!!! BELIEVE THAT! Tech has won six straight overtime games and this current junior class has won 9 of their last 10 OT games since losing to butler in 2007, their first ever OT game. And even that one, xavier, was on a half court shot at the buzzer.
- IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW, THE HOKIES OWN OVERTIME!!! BELIEVE THAT! Part II: The Hokies have won 9 straight ACC games that went to OVERTIME. The current junior class is 6-0 in ACC OT games, and half of those were against uva. IF THE GAME GOES TO OVERTIME, BOOK IT AS A HOKIE WIN!
- I really really really love the Hokie half court trap. Like, but don’t love, the full court trap-press. Tech got two turnovers out of the full court trap but both were off the inbound pass. One thing VT could do is setup the press try to steal the inbounds pass (which worked twice tonight), or trap the first pass. If the opponent gets out of it, fall back. As for the half court trap, I haven’t seen Tech burned more than once or twice out of it yet while it has caused a lot of issues for the opponent. Bell and Thompson with their length and long arms and athleticism really cause problems.
- Didn’t see that coming: Zo Hudson hit all 3 of his 3s tonight, including a huge one to cut the uva lead to 1 late in regulation. Zo was just 17/65 (26%) on 3s coming into tonight. I’m not bad-mouthing any three he takes anymore… (promise is not a guarantee). Where would this team be without him right now? Especially with Allen’s struggles in ACC play and Delaney’s injury.
- Didn’t see that coming Part II: JT Thompson hit 5/6 from the FT line tonight. He has hit 8 of his last 9 FTs after hitting a pathetic 9 of 23 (29%) to start the season. HE WAS SAVING IT UP FOR TONIGHT!!!
- Tech did not shoot a FT until the 9:52 mark of the 2nd half. Yep, that’s over 30 minutes without a shooting foul/bonus. Terrible officiating in my opinion. Amazingly, the Hokies finished with 20 FTAs compared to 22 for uva. That stat tends to even out unless you are playing unc.
- Wow – swept uva in ch-ville in football and basketball! That hasn’t happened since…………. the 2008-09 season – the last time we played there in football and basketball. Yep, we own ch-ville!