OK, that stunk. You know what, though? We were due for that one. That was our wake at nc state. Every team in the ACC has one this year. That’s the first time all season we haven’t even been competitive in an ACC game… other than maybe the miami game (at least we made a run in that game).
- 11:56 – that is the latest Jeff Allen has made it in the first half before picking up his second foul in the last four games. Without him on the floor this is a different team.
- Bad Loss – this is the first team VT has lost to all season with a RPI over 100 (they were 105).
- As much crap as we gave Hudson earlier in the season, we now have to start giving Delaney – he is 74/205 in ACC games (36%). On threes he is 19/80 (24%). That’s not cutting it.
- The Hokies still took terrible shots in transition tonight. I’m sorry, but if you have a 3-on-2, PASS THE BALL. An 18-foot pull up jumper is not a good shot.
- Tech couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat tonight. You have those games. Problem is bc shot 51%. They shot over 50% in both games against VT, which is amazing because Tech had held 4 of the last 5 opponents under 33%!
- Trapani killed the Hokies. He had 6 points total in the first meeting and had 14 tonight before the second media timeout.
- The Hokies lost every 50/50 ball tonight. And I mean every.
- VT was just 2/ 15 on threes including 0/6 in the first half.
- The VT full court press really rattled the eagles but again, they could only use it after timeouts or made free throws due to how much the Hokie starters play.
- Tech was awful on the defensive glass again tonight. bc got 13 of their 30 misses tonight (43%). nc state grabbed just under 50%, duke grabbed exactly 50%, and bc was right there, too (43%). Tech’s defensive rebounding has fallen off the map. This is a real concern. If you can’t secure misses, you can’t secure stops. bc won in 2nd chance points 16-6. By contrast, VT got just 23% of their misses (and they had a lot more misses).
- Rakim Sanders, who had 17 offensive rebounds all season coming into tonight, had 4 tonight.
- VT won the turnover battle 18-10 but it doesn’t matter when they shoot 51% AND get most of the offensive rebounds.
- bc had 19 assists to just 5 for VT. That speaks to how bad VT is at sharing the ball, especially on the break. Again, pull-up jumpers are not a good shot.
I didn’t mean to be overly negative but there is honestly nothing positive you could say about tonight. Tech laid an egg. But a win Saturday erases all of this. Point is, 10-6 gets VT in the tournament, especially considering that would mean a win over maryland or georgia tech. So let’s take a deep breath and get ready for the terps.