The Hokies get a third shot at bc on Wednesday, only this time it is the [I have no idea what their nickname is] of bethune-cookman from [no idea… not even the state] rolling into town! Get ready for some super-sized fun, it is the big MEAC against the team that doesn’t get treated like they are in the ACC!
Welcome home, Hokies! Back to the Virginia Tech Invitational for the fourth straight year! LOL – seriously, that logo cracks me up every time. >>>>>>>
OK, enough saltiness. Here’s the 411 on b-c since, a) I am curious and figured I’d look it up, b) well, A is really the only reason.
- Who? bethune-cookman university wildcats… WHO ARE WE? “The Wildcats!” Who are we gonna beat? “The wildcats!” [Simpson’s reference]
- Mary Bethune started the bethune educational and industrial training school which later merged with the cookman institute of Jacksonville to become a co-ed high school in 1924. Became a JC in ’31, and a 4-year school in ’41.
- Where? Daytona Beach, FL
- Why? Regular season champs that don’t make the ncaa tournament get an auto-bid to the NIT… b-c won the MEAC regular season title at 13-3 but got upset by morgan state in the MEAC semi-finals.
- What? As in ‘what the heck are we doing playing a MEAC team instead of some #5 or 6 seed in that other tournament.
Jake Taylor said it best in Major League – “I guess there’s only one thing left to do… win the whole [bleeping] thing.”
SERIES: VT 1-0 (Hokies 69-58 in B’burg on 1/12/2005)
|Guard||11 Green – 6-4||3 Reed 6-3|
|Guard||23 Delaney – 6-3||10 Elliott 6-3|
|Wing/Forward||1 Bell – 6-7||32 Starling 6-6|
|Forward||0 Allen – 6-7||11 Bryant 6-6|
|Forward/Center||14 Davila – 6-8||5 Abrahams 6-9|
They only have 10 guys on their roster… got us beat.
|Scorer||Delaney 18.6||Reed 19.1|
|Rebounder||Allen 9.9||Starling 6.7|
|Assists||Delaney 4.0||Reed 4.8|
|Steals||Green 1.7||Reed 1.7|
|Blocks||Davila 1.2||Starling 1.0|
WHAT’S LEFT TO PLAY FOR:
- The senior class has 86 wins (86-49). A win Wednesday will tie the Dell Curry class of 1982-86 for most wins in a 4-year span at 87.
- With 1 block, Jeff Allen becomes the first ACC player ever with 1500 points, 1000 rebounds, 200 steals, and 150 blocks (I’m guessing he’s the first to 1500-1000-200-149 though either way).
- Malcolm Delaney needs 13 assists to become VT’s all time leader. He needs 12 steals to crack the top 10 there.
- Playing in MSG is pretty cool. Although these seniors played a combined four games there their freshman and sophomore years in the Aeropostale Somethin-or-other.
I’m not going to post ‘HO-KEYS TO WINNING’. We all know we ‘should’ win this game and win it easily if the guys hearts are in it. b-c ranks in the bottom 100 in the nation in offensive efficiency, and bottom 35 (of 350) in defensive efficiency. So they cannot score or stop decent teams. They’ll play mostly man and probably haven’t seen much zone against them this year. What they do do well is not turn the ball over, which the Hokies need to get transition opportunities.
Will VT be focused? I’m not sure, and I’ll give them a pass if they aren’t. I think they’ll react one of two ways:
- The seniors will realize their dreams of playing in the non-VT Invitational are over and basically have a tee time setup for Thursday.
- Come out on a mission to finally make it to the self-proclaimed ‘Most Famous Arena in the World’… I’m talkin’ ’bout in the streets of New York! The revolution has to start, don’t waste no time in the streets of New York.
We shall see Wednesday night if the guys have a New York state of mind.