Updated through Wednesday…
- georgia tech locked up last place and the #12 seed with their loss at bc (amazingly bc went 4-4 at home in ACC play)
- VT moved up to #9 pending their game against clemson.
- If VT loses to the tigers, they drop to 10th place. wake would be #9 (3-0 against VT and bc), VT was 1-2 against those teams, and bc 1-3.
- If Tech beats clemson, they stay in 9th and could lock up the #9 seed with a win over nc state Sunday. maryland has locked up the #8 seed.
- bc plays at miami, wake at georgia tech. Either team would beat out VT in a 2-way tie, but VT would beat out bc in a 3-way tie (see above).
- duke 12-2 (regardless of what duke does at wake, they just have to beat unc on Saturday to get the #1 seed)
- unc 12-2
- fsu 10-4
- uva 8-6 (uva has the tiebreaker over miami and state)
- nc state 8-7 (state swept the canes so they have the tiebreaker there)
- miami 8-7 (miami and nc state play this week – miami clinches at least the 5 seed with a win)
- clemson 7-7 (clemson beat nc state)
- maryland 6-9
- VIRGINIA TECH 4-10
- wake 4-11
- bc 4-11
- ga tech 3-12 (gt has clinched dead last)
With one week of action and two games to go before the ACC Tournament starts, here are the scenarios for VT:
- Tech, as of today, is the #10 seed. The Hokies are tied with wake but the deacons have the tiebreaker based on their win in W-S.
- With clemson’s win and Tech’s loss Saturday, VT has been eliminated from contention for anything higher than the #9 seed. So we know for sure the Hokies will be wearing their road jerseys on Thursday in Atlanta on March 8th.
- #9: Tech will need to win 1 more game than wake this week and finish ahead of them in the standings (both are 4-10). VT is at clemson and home vs nc state; wake hosts duke and plays at ga tech. The #9 seed would play maryland as it sits today, but clemson could also slide to #8. This would be the noon game next Thursday (the worst game to be in — empty arena and if you lose, you’ve been eliminated by 2:15 PM on Thursday).
- #10: Considering wake plays georgia tech on Saturday, this is the most likely place VT will end up, unless Tech gets a sweep this week. The #10 seed would play nc state today. clemson and nc state are tied for 6th, but the tigers just beat state, so state slides to #7. Interesting that Tech plays both these teams this week.
- #11: To slide to #11, the Hokies would likely have to lose both games this week and finish in a tie with bc. bc would win the tiebreaker because they beat fsu, a higher see than anyone VT has beaten. If VT, bc, and gt finish in a 3-way tie, the Hokies would likely get the #10 seed since they went 2-1 against those teams. georgia tech plays bc and wake this week, so they have a chance at winning out and getting to 5 wins but I’m not holding my breath on that one.
- #12: ga tech is guaranteed last place and the #12 seed.