Categorized | Recruiting News

Coach Johnson Gets 1st Commit – SG Warren Craft (2015)

VT Head Coach James Johnson is on the board!  He has his first commit… 3 years from now.  Class of 2015 shooting guard Warren Craft from nearby William Fleming in Roanoke, VA has committed to the Hokies.  He’ll be a sophomore this coming year in high school.  Craft is 6’2″ already, so he should have good size for an off-guard by the time he gets to college.

I saw a note where Craft is the first rising sophomore in the nation to verbally commit anywhere.

Here’s a ROANOKE TIMES ARTICLE with more about Craft’s commitment…

“Craft averaged 12.3 points and 3.0 assists per game as a freshman while shooting 82 percent from the free throw line and 33 percent from 3-point range.”

And here’s a ROANOKE TIMES ARTICLE from January about how amazing Warren’s story is (he was born prematurely at less than 2 lbs.).  There are pics of him in the story.

This post was written by:

- who has written 1282 posts on Tech Hoops.

Niemo is a member of the VT Class of '98. While not a professional journalist by any stretch, Niemo analyzes and breaks down every minute of Hokie hoop action. He also researches topics of interest such as Hokie recruits, program revenue, statistical data on the team, previews VT opponents, and discusses his favorite bourbons/Scotches. In addition to his passion for Hokie hoops, Niemo has attended 126 straight VT football home games (every game since '94), eclipsing the 100 mark in September of '09 and recently attended his 20th consecutive VT/uva game. During the final home basketball game of his senior year, he was brought onto the court and was awarded 2 passes to the Atlantic 10 Basketball Tournament in Philly during a timeout for being a "Super Fan" during his time at VT. The Hokie Bird made the award on behalf of Athletic Director Jim Weaver. Niemo was known to be in the front row of every home game with his familiar red afro hairdo.

Contact the author | Visit the author's website | Follow Niemo on Twitter

6 Responses to “Coach Johnson Gets 1st Commit – SG Warren Craft (2015)”

1. Max says:

I guess this means were out of the running for Jared Terrell in the class of 2014?

2. goodraisin says:

I’m not sure I understand the point of getting a verbal from a rising sophomore? As we’ve seen with Greenberg, a verbal commitment means little to nothing… seems like all it will do is scare away other SG recruits?

• Max says:

I couldn’t agree more. I find Craft’s life story to be incredible, but I know nothing about his play to get really excited about his commitment. Now, if we could somehow get Jared Terrell to commit, I would crap my pants for a week.

3. BJ says:

I was a little skeptical of the firmness of a 2015 commit until I read the story about his premature birth. He and his mom seem to have an understandably tight bond and I’m sure they are both looking forward to him playing close to home. Warren sounds legit and I think he’ll stick as a commit.

4. LJ says:

A freshman that averaged 12 points? Dime a dozen…I think JJ was tired of getting shut out and signed anyone to get off the SNIDE..If he turns out to be really good, thats great but others see it diferently. If UNC, UK or Florida come calling in a couple of years he will jump ship…lose lose situation

5. coach says:

Warren is a great kid and if he says he is going to tech its a done deal!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks