Categorized | 2012-13 Season, Game Previews

Preview: etsu (0-0) @ VT (0-0) | Sat., 2 PM | ESPN3

Tired of Hokie football?  Yeah, me too (I better set a reminder to update this line in case we beat fsu on Thursday).  Well Hokie hoops is back this Saturday!  And there’s a new sheriff in town – Coach James Johnson.  Look for a brand new, up-tempo style!  Wait, stop laughing, I really mean it – we are going to play up-tempo, this isn’t another SG token statement!

Niemo’s Nugget: 3 of etsu’s players that averaged double digit points last year are gone, and they have no returning post players that saw significant minutes

Anyway, the bucs come to the Cassell on Saturday.  Here’s the tale of the tape (* Returning players only):

This post was written by:

- who has written 1282 posts on Tech Hoops.

Niemo is a member of the VT Class of '98. While not a professional journalist by any stretch, Niemo analyzes and breaks down every minute of Hokie hoop action. He also researches topics of interest such as Hokie recruits, program revenue, statistical data on the team, previews VT opponents, and discusses his favorite bourbons/Scotches. In addition to his passion for Hokie hoops, Niemo has attended 126 straight VT football home games (every game since '94), eclipsing the 100 mark in September of '09 and recently attended his 20th consecutive VT/uva game. During the final home basketball game of his senior year, he was brought onto the court and was awarded 2 passes to the Atlantic 10 Basketball Tournament in Philly during a timeout for being a "Super Fan" during his time at VT. The Hokie Bird made the award on behalf of Athletic Director Jim Weaver. Niemo was known to be in the front row of every home game with his familiar red afro hairdo.

Contact the author | Visit the author's website | Follow Niemo on Twitter

7 Responses to “Preview: etsu (0-0) @ VT (0-0) | Sat., 2 PM | ESPN3”

1. Chris says:

Very cool preview, Niemo.

This is a game VT should win fairly easily… should being the key word there. I’ll be at the game Saturday. Although I don’t have high hopes for the season, I’m really looking forward to watching these guys. If we had just a little depth I think we could be a legitimate tourney team… ahh, maybe next season.

Looking forward to seeing the JJ era get started!

2. goodraisin says:

I would like to take this moment to renew my objection to our out-of-conference schedule. It reeks… I can smell it from here. With that said I’m perfectly cool with opening against a team that we are heavily favored to beat. I’m just still bitter that I won’t be watching any quality VT basketball games around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

• Daniel says:

What makes me mad is we play BYU in Salt Lake (where I live) but I’ll be back in VA for Christmas!

• goodraisin says:

That should be one of our better OOC games… looking forward to that. What I don’t understand about the scheduling for that game is that we played BYU at home in Cassell Coliseum last year and this year we play them at a “neutral” location in Salt Lake City. From a Selection Committee perspective, all they will see is that it’s a neutral court game… we won’t get as much credit as if we were to beat BYU on their home court, even though SLC might as well be their home court. Seems logical in that sense for VT to have had a BS neutral location of Richmond or something last year. Unless that is happening next season?

• Niemo says:

No, this is just a 2 game series with byu, instead of the 4-pack we had/have with oklahoma state.

• goodraisin says:

Hmmm, I don’t get that then. We should never have to take a deal with BYU where we give a dollar to get three quarters. I hope JJ has better luck in scheduling than SG did.

3. Ryan W. says:

I can’t wait! Big year for EG coming…