Obviously I was kidding in the ‘Positives’ post for shock value. There are some positives as a Hokie fan right now:
- The guys did not quit in the 2nd half of this game despite being behind by 30. They played hard, real hard, in the final 12 minutes and made it respectable-ish (almost got it under a reverse Bear Fight).
- Football season is over.
- Most of us aren’t mormon and can drink Wild Turkey to help get us through basketball season.
As for byu, I haven’t seen a cougar as hot as Tyler Haws since Jennifer Coolidge in American Pie.
And there are some negatives:
- Between the 2nd half of the colorado state game and the 1st half of the byu game, VT was outscored 111-56.
- The opponents shot 35/60 (58%) from the field and 15/26 (58%) on 3s. VT was 17/56 (30%) and 5/21 (24%).
- This was byu’s 2nd largest margin of victory this year against a D1 team and the last game was colorado state’s largest win. VT should not be that level of patsy.
In Tech’s last 6 games:
- VT has trailed by double digits during the 1st half in 4 of those games, and trailed by 6 or more at the half in 5 games.
- Note that a lot of Eddie’s points and 3s lately have come in complete garbage time. He’s the king of the 3-run HR with his team down 12 runs.
- Tech is getting doubled in terms of 3s made (51 to 25). For a team that depends on its guards, that says it all. In Tech’s first 7 games, they had 57 makes to 39 by their opponents.
- Eddie was hitting over 50% of his shots, including 3-pointers, heading into this 6 game stretch (19/36 on 3s).
- Brown was 40% on 3s heading into this stretch.
- Raines was averaging 9.1 ppg after 7 games.
- VT was outscoring teams 86-72 heading into the wvu game, it has been 66.5 to 74.2 since.
I’m not trying to be overly negative, but quite simply there is nothing positive to take from the way the Hokies have played since the start of the wvu game. Nothing. This team isn’t just leaking oil, they are in nuclear meltdown. The good news is Tech is 0-0 in the ACC, and who knows, maybe with just a 250 mile trip (instead of 2,500 miles) on Saturday at maryland, they can turn it around.
Final Thought: Again, eff Doo Doo Finney-Smith and eff Montrezl Harrell (and Ben Boggs and Manny Atkins and Ty Garland).