You want a 2-for-1? Well, you’ve got it! Thursday, January 17th marks our 6th anniversary here at TechHoops.com, and this very article is my 1000th over those last six years. While that may not mean anything to you, it sure makes me reflect on these past 2,192 days, so I thought I’d share some of my favorite memories of the past six years with you.
First off, man has the time flown by. Six years ago I was a gritty kid from the mean streets of Fairfax who didn’t take any guff from nobody. I could party with the best of them, leap over tall tailgating tables in a single bound, and dominate a 4th of July hot dog eating contest. Now, I’m married and a month away from being a daddy for the first time (that I know of). The most rebellious thing I do is not capitalize opponents’ names or make inappropriate Christmas cookies. The Weekend Warrior is dead and buried… except when I get a few too many Scotches or Wild Turkeys in me — but that never happens ;-). That said, I’m a lucky, blessed man in many, many ways. But enough reminiscing, let’s get to the ‘Best of List’ as well as answering a few questions about our early days.
- After VT knocked off #1 unc at the Cassell on 1/13/07, Todd Wickersty emailed several of us to see if we were interested in starting a VT basketball web site. We (4 of us) shared season tickets and were all fired up about the big win, and realized there wasn’t much out there on the web in terms of covering Hokie hoops. We went live a few days later, opening for business on 1/17/07. Here’s the actual email from Todd that launched it all…
My First Posts:
- Shocker – it was a Preview: maryland at VT Preview (the famous ‘Ice Bowl’ which we won in OT).
- 2nd Post – About the game that started it all… Where Were You When… (unc and Other Big VT Wins)
- Claiming we had locked up a NCAA Tourney bid with our win over duke two years ago… I should have known better.
- (tie) Stating Chaney would play for VT last year (he was my source but I was going by the fact a doctor told him he could play, not that VT had cleared him).
- Doing the voice-overs to the game highlights. I know I stink (and many of you have told me as much), but I love doing it and there’s always the mute button. BRRRRRAHHHHHH!
Favorite Memory – VT Game:
- 2/25/12 – @duke 70, VT 65 (OT) – I hate to admit my favorite game of the last six years, at least of those I’ve been at, wasn’t even at VT and wasn’t a Hokie victory. But sitting right behind the VT bench at Cameron Indoor rubbing elbows with the likes of Rob Lowe and screaming ‘Nerds!’ until I lost my voice was a once in a lifetime experience (THANK YOU, TRAVELER!). If Green had just hit the shot at the end of regulation to give us the win, then this memory would have been perfect (except for the impending arrest after I rushed the court).
Favorite Memory – VT Game I Wasn’t At:
- 2/26/11 – @VT 64, #1 duke 60 – Work shipped me over to the UK for the last part of February and so I had to watch this game online… it started at 2 AM and ended just before 4:30 AM. I was so wired afterwards I stayed up until 7:00 and watched the replay on ESPN America. I was definitely home sick after that.
Favorite Memory – Watching a VT Game at a Bar:
- 2/13/07 – VT 81, @#4 unc 80 (OT) – There were about 50 Hokies and 12 heels at the bar watching the game. After we locked up our sweep of unc, I found a broom and literally swept the heel fans out of the bar. High comedy.
Favorite Memory – Road Trips
- Tech’s first ACC game this year likely marked the end of an era – away games at maryland. I believe I went to six of the seven that have taken place. And each one has been a debacle in its own, beautiful way – wearing VT stuff in the maryland employee section (despite being warned not to), drive through liquor stores (that no longer exist), tailgating with 9′ Hokie Bird in 38 degree weather, jump-kicking a light cover, and the Capital Classic of 2007 that featured Jeff Allen, Malcolm Delaney, Dorenzo Hudson, and Benedict Arnold (where I arm curled Zo and Allen, and also Greasy Face-quez. As much as I hate maryland fans, I’m going to miss those trips with the guys.
- The ACC Tournament trips to Atlanta in 2009 and boring Greensboro in 2010 were a blast, too. Shout out to DuffHokie for that and mega props for messing with the uva logo on the ring around the Georgia Dome to make it look like a VT (he duct-taped a ‘T’ onto their dopey scissors ‘v’).
Favorite VT Highlight:
- I might have said the Deron Washington teabag of Greg Paulus at duke in 2007, but that was technically two weeks before the site was launched. So I’ll go with this ridiculous Deron dunk against bc at the Cassell…
- Seriously, could it be anything other than the Derwin Kitchen buzzer beater that wasn’t a buzzer beater in the 2011 ACC Tournament? The refs ruled it good at first, but then overturned it on replay several minutes later, giving VT a 52-51 win and a trip to the ACC Semi-Finals. While I think the refs got it right, it was very close — I’m talking almost colorado/arizona close.
Best Buzzer Beater:
- While the Zo 3-pointer to beat georgia tech last year was great, it was during a 4-12 ACC season. So I have to go with Deron Washington’s up-and-under bank shot at the buzzer to beat uva at uva for the first time in 40 years on 1/16/2008, 70-69 in OT.
- Nothing will ever top the arm curl. It all started back at the 2007 Hokie Celebration when this site was just out of the gates. Basically, at the event, you can drink before the game, at halftime, and after the game. We (yes, vt1fan/Super Fan/Wheel of Fortune legend, I am giving you a shout out) stayed around afterwards to meet some of the players after the crowds had died down. So I had a few cocktails in me, and next thing I knew, I asked Zabian Dowdell (or was it Jamon Gordon? Stupid Wild Turkey–I checked, it was Jamon) if I could arm curl him (basically pick someone up like a plank and treat them like an arm curl bar). I’m not sure he actually said I could, I was already doing it, and the rest is history).
- Zabe, A.D. Vassallo, Jamon Gordon, Chris Tucker, Coleman Collins, Dorenzo Hudson, Jeff Allen, Deron Washington, Marcus Travis, JT Thompson, Lewis Witcher, Victor Davila, Terrell Bell, Gene Swindle, Erick Green, Cadarian Raines, Robert Brown, Marquis Rankin, Jarell Eddie, Manny Atkins, Tyrone Garland, and Paul Debnam (he’s the only player to curl me in return!) have all fallen victim since. Wow, 22 arm curl victims. No wonder my back is killing me.
- Yes, we’ve jumped the shark on this one, but it really did put us on the map and got us some publicity, both good and bad. And I can’t even describe how much I was cracking up when I sent the pics to Todd, wishing I could see his face as he opened them.
- Arm Curl Hall of Fame
- The passing of Allen Calloway
Most Awkward Memory:
- Running into Deron’s mom at the 2008 Hokie Celebration and her giving me an ear full for writing an article that Deron should get benched (technically I just said we should bring him off the bench). In all honesty, she is the nicest woman ever along with Cadarian’s mom, but my buddy did get a good laugh out of it. Hey, I guess the families read this site.
Weirdest TechHoops.com Moment:
- Back in 2010 when gus ‘benedict arnold’ gilchrist’s handler, Terrelle Woody, who was working at south florida at the time, emailed me out of the blue… The following bullet is an excerpt from an article about it and includes his actual email.
- Terrelle Woody responding to this article: TechHoops.com Article about gilchrist and usf allegations. Article about Mr. Woody: Accusations against the usf basketball program and Woody.
- From Mr. Woody: “U need to get the facts about any of the news articals you have been writing. Gus did nothing wrong that’s why he has not been charged with any violations of any kind. Seth Greenberg is a untruthful person and so is Kathy Worthington. The truth will come out and everybody that’s not telling the truth will get whats coming to them. Don’t you think the NCAA would have done something by now, yes they would have these are lies and you will soon find out. Check the article where Gus mom and dad provides the st petetimes with documents to prove that article is not ture.”Mr. Woody at the end is referring to this article in the last sentence: gilchrist parents argue with fanhouse story
- My response: “Thanks for your email. Didn’t make it past the first sentence but I’m sure you made some great points. Have a Merry Christmas.” P.S. He’s a good spellar.
- Drinking an entire bottle of Italian dressing at the 2010 Hokie Celebration in 5 minutes on a $10 bet (I won).
- Peeing on the Raycom Sports TV truck next to a current (still) VT football coach (who was also peeing) during halftime of the maryland @ VT game in 2010 (same night as the above Italian dressing story). A beer truck had run over a fire hydrant and knocked out the water in the building, forcing us to leave the Cassell to take care of our business.
Worst VT Basketball Memory:
- Insert any Selection Sunday from 2008-2011.
- I have interviewed Chris Smith, Ace Custis, and Zabian Dowdell, 3 of the 10 greatest Hokies of all time. I’ve interviewed Jay Bilas and the Bracketology guy (he thinks he’s more important than he is). I’ve met basically every player from the last six years. That’s pretty cool. Never saw that coming when we started this ‘hobby’.
- Also, being mentioned in the Washingtonian, a magazine in my hometown, as an ‘All Star Sports Site’ in 2009 was pretty sweet considering we had nothing to do with it.
- ‘The Bear Fight’
- ‘Shirtless Halftime’
- ‘Arm Curl’
- ‘VT Invitational’
- ^If you need an explanation, you haven’t been reading this site for the last six years. Props to the Hartmans on both.
Here’s to six great years and the most fun you could possibly have writing 1,000 posts about Virginia Tech basketball. Will there be another six years and 1,000 more? Will there be dozens of victory Scotches and Bear Fights? We’ll see, but even if there isn’t, it’s been a blast. Thanks for the chance to do it (Wick, Davey, Rob, Jay, Cope, the Sweets’es’es (for room and board), vt1fan (official arm curl photographer), DuffHokie/Hartmans (road trip/tailgating experts), and all you readers).
The Email That Started it All:
Fellas,I purchased about a half dozen Virginia Tech basketball related domains last winter with the intention to create a dorky little TSL like website. The domains are pretty good … techhoops.com, cassellcoliseum.com, techbball.com, vpibasketball.com, vpihoops.com, and techhoops.net.
Since I have learned the heck out of wordpress for a client of mine and my own website, I figured now would be a good time to do the site. My thought is that it would be a blog with photo galleries since we all like to take pics at the game. In addition, I would put up Adwords with the hope that over a year’s time, the site would pay for my portion of the season tickets (and hopefully more). With cross-posting on TSL, I think the site could get some good traffic if we had some good content. And that is where you come in. If you guys have any interest in writing a blog/report after the games you attend (or anything else Hokie basketball related), then let me know if you are interested in going in on this. I would split the ad revenue, of course, and the goal would be to pay for the tickets. I could have the site up in a week or less.Thanks for allowing me to dork out and let me know if you are interested.Todd
As for me, I guess there’s only thing left to do…
Write article #1,001…