Shout out to Mr. Dan Rickenbach for his support!
THE LOW POST:
Just to mix things up, I tracked how many times we fed the post today. Note that these numbers only include passes into the post to our bigs (i.e. I didn’t count touches via offensive rebounds or passes to our bigs on the perimeter — this truly represents their touches inside of 10 feet). Also, I only counted one feed per possession — i.e. if Raines got the ball down low then fed it to Barksdale, it only counted for Raines.
- Possessions: 64
- Raines: 12
- Barksdale: 1
- van Zegeren: 5
- Beyer: 1
That’s 19 feeds to the low post in 64 possessions by my count (30%). It’s no surprise based on the numbers above that Raines had 8 FG attempts and 3 assists, while CJB had just 3/2 (most of his work was on the perimeter or after other guys touched it down low).
Just wanted to share… given Cadarian’s low post moves, I like this ratio.
HALL OF FAME:
Had we lost, I’d have added Travis McKie to our Opponents Hall of Fame. He had 20 points and 15 rebounds today, including a double-double in the first half.
Coming into today, he was 12/41 on 3-pointers (29%). Today he was 4/6 today. That’s the way it has been over the last 10 games. But the Hokies still found a way to win.
THE TALE OF TWO HALVES:
- First half: wake — 15 offensive rebounds and 5 made 3s (averaged 9 offensive rebounds and 5.3 made 3s PER GAME coming in)
- Second half: wake — 2 offensive rebounds and 2 made 3s — that’s how you make a comeback — getting stops.
- First half: EG — 1/8 FGs — 4 points.
- Second half: EG — 7/10 FGs — 18 points
FLIP THE SCRIPT:
- The Hokies came in the #1 FT% team in the ACC at 73%… they won going 8/16 from the line for 50%
THE TALE OF TWO GAMES:
- wake vs clemson: 44 total points and 0 fast break points
- wake vs VT: 65 total points and 18 fast break points
HOKIES AND 2ND HALVES:
Going into today’s game, Tech had not led in the 2nd half (not counting overtime) of their previous ACC 3 games and had only been tied for 24 seconds (the final 0:24 vs georgia tech). Well, they took the lead 2 minutes into the 2nd half today. That 1-point lead lasted 35 seconds, but obviously they off and on in the final 6:30.