I pulled together where Virginia Tech ranks in various statistical categories. This is the average for ACC games only (i.e. 6 or 7 for every team). Note that Tech’s ACC opponents to date are a combined 15-24 in ACC play (38%). Taking out the 6 games versus VT, they are 11-22 (33%).
Where the ACC doesn’t rank teams, I’ve put ‘–‘ in the last column.
|ACC Stats Per Game||VT||Rank||Opp||Rank|
|Off Reb %||32.1%||–||30.7%||–|
Several things jump out at you:
- Tech is 4th in the league in points per game, 4th in FT% (and 3rd in FTs made per game), and 5th in FG%, all positive numbers on offense (except for 3-point shooting, see below).
- 3-point shooting both on offense and defense is killing the Hokies. While the ACC doesn’t track 3s made per game by opponent, 9.0 would easily be the worst in the league (duke leads the ACC with 8.3 threes made per game).
- Additional stat: 35% of our opponents 76.8 points are coming from 3-pointers. Tech is getting just 21% of their points from behind the arc.
- Tech’s opponents are actually shooting more free throws and making more (16.2 compared to 15.3) than VT. Not a surprise — if you are losing you foul at the end.
- While Tech is 4th in the league in scoring, they are 11th in assists. That shows the Hokies aren’t able to create a lot of easy buckets (and getting a lot of free throws).
- Conversely, if Tech’s opponents were one team, they’d be tied for first in the ACC in assists per game at 15.7. That equates to a lot of easy buckets.
- The Hokies don’t block many shots and don’t get many steals — this leads to the negative turnover margin (11th in turnover margin).
- Tech’s opponents are avergaing a 2.0 assist-to-turnover ratio per game, which would easily be the best (or worst in VT’s case) in the ACC. Meanwhile, Tech has more turnovers (66) than assists (57) — opponents is 94 assists to 48 turnovers.
- The Hokies’ offensive rebounding numbers (69 and 32%) are almost exactly the same as their opponents (66 and 31%). This was a surprise to me but good for VT. Shows rebounding hasn’t been as bad as we thought overall.
- Tech is 2nd-to-last in the ACC in home attendance per game. Only bc is lower. Note that if VT was selling out each game they’d be around 7th or 8th.