Spread: miami by 9.5.
Note: We’ve added a Poll at the bottom right of the page where you can guess who from miami (if anyone) will make the Opponent Hall of Fame Wednesday. Vote now! And check out out our OPPONENT HALL OF FAME PAGE.
Let’s just say this isn’t a favorable match-up for the Hokies. The canes blow into the ‘Burg riding the gravy train with biscuit wheels.
- miami is #3 in the RPI, #14 in the AP Poll, #15 in the Coaches Poll and feature the nation’s toughest schedule.
- They lead the ACC standings by two games.
- They’ve won 7 in a row and are 6-0 in the ACC, including wins at unc, over then #1 duke (by 27 points, no less — their first ever win over a #1), and over fsu. They also beat #13 michigan state and held former Hokie JT Thompson to 2 points in a 77-46 win over charlotte earlier in the year.
- They have 4 senior starters, and the first guy off their bench is a redshirt senior. Barry Larkin’s son is their sophomore PG and he has become a star this year (12.3 ppg, 4.4 rebounds at 5’11”, 4.1 assists, and 2.2 steals).
- They have great balance with 5 guys averaging double digit points (all between 10.1 and 14.3), 5 guys averaging 4.4 rebounds or more, 3 guys averaging 1.8 steals or more (all above VT’s leader at 1.4, second is 0.4), and 3 guys averaging 1.6 blocks or more (all above VT’s leader at 1.0). Durand Scott, who we all remember from single-handedly beating us in the 2010 ACC Tournament, is now a senior and leads the canes with 14.3 ppg.
- They have 5 guys averaging a 3-pointer made per game, and are 4th in the league in 3-point % in ACC play (Larkin and McKinney Jones shoot 40%).
- They have four guys over 6’10” that play mega minutes (reminds me of fsu’s squads of years past) and Reggie Johnson, a 6’10” 292 lbs. r-senior, is back from injury (10.6 ppg, 9.0 rebounds, 1.8 blocks). 6’11” Kenny Kadji (a 5th-year senior transfer from florida) averages 13 ppg/7 rebounds/1.6 blocks, and shoots 34% on 3s. He’s the toughest match-up in the ACC.
- They have the best FG% defense in the ACC (even better than uva) and the 4th most efficient defense in the nation at 83.9 points given up per 100 possessions (VT gives up 106.0).
- Their offense is in the top 50 in the nation in efficiency at 109.0 (VT is at 106.8 — 65th in the land).
But, all hope is not lost!
- Tech has the nation’s leading scorer in Erick Green at 25.2 ppg, 1.5 points ahead of McDermott of creighton Barrel.
- VT is 4-1 at home against the canes since joining the ACC. And Tech is 9-5 against the canes overall in ACC play.
- miami lost to florida gulf coast earlier in the year, so they do take nights off.
- Could the canes be looking past the Hokies? They just beat #1 duke and arch-rival fsu at home last week, and play at #19 nc state this weekend. This is a classic let-down situation. Can the Hokies take advantage? Can the Hokies score before the first media timeout and not dig a huge hole? We’ll see late night (9 PM) Wednesday. Go Hokies!
Note: The game is being carried by RSN and ESPN3. In DC, the game is on The Comcast Network (not the same as Comcast SportsNet).