THE GLASS HALF FULL:
- Quick Start: It was great to see the Hokies come out pushing the ball and not looking like they were asleep for the first 5 minutes. After not scoring in the first 5 minutes of the previous two games, Tech tallied 10 points in the first 3:34. And Tech had 22 points (8 for Brown, Green 7, Eddie 5) in the first 10:34.
- Shooting: miami came into the game #1 in the ACC in FG% Defense and 3-Pt% Defense at 34% and 26% respectively. The Hokies torched the canes for 54% shooting from the field in the first half and 45% for the game. From behind the arc, Tech was exactly 5/10 in both halves for an eye-popping 50% (10/20) for the game. It was Tech’s most made 3-pointers since hitting 14 against unc-g-spot in Game #4 of the season, and only the second time VT has shot better than 37.5% from 3-point range since that game (they were 7/14 – 50% against bc).
- Robert Brown: He was 1/18 on 3-pointers in ACC play coming in and had missed 16 in a row, but nailed two quick 3-pointers to start the game! You almost wish he hadn’t shot that 3 in the second half (which he bricked and was way off-line). Hopefully that didn’t shake his confidence.
- Jarell Eddie: Jarell hit all three of his 3-pointers and converted 3 FTs after getting fouled on a long ball. He’s now 9/17 (53%) on 3-pointers since the start of OT at georgia tech.
- Erick Green: What can you say about him? That step back jumper is deadly. But how about 5/8 from behind the arc?! He continues to find ways to get it done.
- C.J. Barksdale: Only Hokie with a positive +/- yesterday, putting up a +7.
THE GLASS HALF EMPTY:
- 3-Pt Defense: 7 for 7. 7 ACC games, 7 opponents have shot a higher % from behind the arc then they average AND made more 3s then they average. miami came in at 35% on 3s and 6.5 3s made per game. On Wednesday they hit 9/24 for 37.5%. That isn’t much higher than they average, but it was higher. In other words, not one team has had an ‘off’ night from deep against the Hokies. And 9 made 3s was 2.5 above their average and continues to torment the Hokies. Lots of points coming from long range.
- Robert Brown: Scored 8 points in his first five minutes of play last night but then didn’t score in his final 27 minutes of action.
- Jarell Eddie: That’s great that he hit all 3 of his 3s and was 4/5 from the field… but why only 5 shots? How, with a guard like EG, can we not get him more open looks on the perimeter? It’s good he wasn’t forcing shots but we have to get him more looks.
- Marshall Wood: Had a -10 plus/minus in just 6 minutes of play. It was like they had a power play of sorts when he was on the court filling in for bigs in foul trouble. He just couldn’t handle miami’s size.
- Turnovers: 17. Awful. 10 in the first half, 7 in the second. That killed the Hokies. After just 5 turnovers against clemson, this was a real step backwards.