Posted on08 February 2013.
THE GLASS HALF FULL:
- Tech gave up 53 first half points to maryland in the first meeting, but just 24 today (4 in the final 10 minutes)
- The Hokies gave up 94 points in the first meeting with maryland, but just 60 today.
- Erick Green scored 29 points, including 24 of Tech’s first 41 points. He added 3 steals.
- Cadarian Raines had 14 points on 7/13 shooting, most of which was against the 7’1″ Alex Len. He also have 5 blocks, tying a career high.
- Tech committed just 7 turnovers for the game (+8 on turnover margin)
- VT snagged 18 offensive rebounds in 47 opportunities (38%).
THE GLASS HALF EMPTY:
- Tech has led at the half in three straight games and lost all three. They were tied at the break in the game before that and lost that game, too.
- 2nd Half (Lack of) Adjustments: The Hokies were up 27-24 at the half tonight but the terps jumped out to a 7-0 start to the 2nd half and led the final 19:14 of the game. miami, who also trailed by 3 at the half, used a 9-2 run to take the lead to start the 2nd half and led all but 16 seconds of the final 17:40.
- Jarell Eddie was 1/8 tonight for 2 points. He finished 3/20 (15%) on FGs and 0/11 on 3s against maryland with 7 total points in 2 games. Jarell is hitting just 28% of his 3s in ACC games.
- Robert Brown was 1/9 on FGs (made his first shot of the game) for 2 points. He’s now shooting 24% in ACC play and 11.5% on 3s in ACC action.
- Tech made just 9/16 FTs (56%). They were #1 in the ACC coming into conference play from the line at 73%, but are hitting just 67% in league games.
- Jake Layman scored a still career high 20 points vs VT in the first meeting, including 18 in the first half. Tech left him wide open allowing him to score 8 in the first 4 minutes tonight (14 for the game — which was his 2nd highest output of the season). He averaged 17 ppg in 2 games vs VT, and just 6.1 ppg in his other 8 ACC contests. Layman scored 27 points in the first half against VT this year.
- In the middle of the second half with the score close, VT went to a half court trap but it was so obvious (the trappers were 20 feet away), maryland easily burned it for two layups.
- VT got just 4 second chance points off 18 offensive rebounds (how is that possible?!).
- Green and Raines were 17/36 (47%). The rest of the team was 5/29 (17%).
- maryland was 10/23 from the line… and won.
- Tech was 2/18 (11% from behind their arc; their fewest made 3s and lowest 3-Pt% in ACC play (they had been held to just 2 made 3s twice pre-ACC and were 2/20 on 3s vs byu)
- VT is averaging just 60.4 points in regulation over their last 7 ACC games.
- The Hokies have lost 5 straight ACC games for just the 2nd time, and first time in 7 years. They have never lost 6 in a row.
- The announced crowd tonight was 5,465. That was the 2nd smallest Cassell crowd for an ACC game ever (the smallest was last week vs miami — 5,436).