NO MORE NOVA?
Last night was sad for me in many ways. I’m happy to see maryland, possibly my most hated of all ACC schools due to their ignorant fans, leave the ACC. But reality also set in that as a NOVA Hokie, after 20 years of having a DC-area league team, I no longer will be able to travel just a few miles up 66 or 495 to see the Hokies play, or “Homecoming” as I called these games. We had:
- gwu in the A-10 from 1995-2000 (and developed a pretty good rivalry with them over that span). Favorite Moments (some of which were at VT, though):
- The VT Student Section chanting the Smurfs theme song as 5’6″ Shawnte Rogers of gwu would dribble the ball.
- Chanting “USA” any time their huge Russian center touched the ball.
- The game at the Smith Center where a VT fan came up to me (I was in my familiar red afro) and said to me, “I thought you were supposed to get a haircut?” Apparently he had seen me on TV at another game holding up a sign that said, “I’ll get a haircut if I get on SportsCenter”… to be fair, I never got on SC, so the afro stayed.
- gwu ending our streak of making at least one 3-pointer in every game. I believe we were one of the final 3 teams to make a 3-pointer in every game since the line was instituted in the late 80s until gwu held us without one at a game at the Smith Center in the mid-90s.
- Ace’s buzzer-beater to beat gwu 45-43 on Feb. 4, 1997 (apparently we were offensively challenged then, too).
- georgetown in the Big East from 2000-2004:
- In our first year in the Big East, I attended our first game at georgetown on January 13th, 2001. The game started at noon. I was gone from the arena by 12:50. It was awful. This was ricky “program bomb” stokes at his finest. VT went an entire 4-minute stretch between media timeouts unable to get the ball over half court against the georgetown press of Craig “Higgins” Esherick. By the half we were down more than 20 (sound familiar?). And we’d go on to lose 96-68. It was as bad as the game at vcu this season.
- My favorite memory though will forever be our win in our final ever Big East regular season game, played at the then MCI Center on March 6th, 2004. We got hooked up with a fully stocked suite for the game thanks to the Wards and their Wizards connections. The game was at noon but hey, how many times do you get to be in a suite? So we arrived at 10 AM (late compared to a football tailgate) and were nice and juiced by tip-off. The Hokies would go on to win 60-55, but the highlight had to be our horrendous behavior. We spent most of the 2nd half out in our seating area chanting “the suite on the right, the suite on the right, the suite on the right SUCKS!” They never responded. Guess those hoya fans didn’t have any spirit… or at least not enough spirits. [On another note, the Weekend Warrior would later get banned from the Accenture suite for life after leading similar chants at a WWE house show]
- maryland in the ACC from 2004-2014:
- While I always hate terp fans, I do have a lot of great memories of going to see us pound them in their own, mostly empty, stadium in football. As for basketball games there, why summarize it when you can re-live the whole experience…
- @md 73, VT 69 – 1/28/2012 – Had player tickets behind the VT bench (thank you, you know who) and got to meet Bryan Randall.
- VT 74, @md 57 – 1/20/2011 – HIGHLIGHTS
- @md 83, VT 73 – 2/14/2009 – The result stunk but we had more than a dozen Hokies tailgating outside the arena in nearly freezing weather for more than 2 hours, taunting the heck out of the terp fans. We even met Delaney’s cousins, who wanted a picture with 9′ inflatable Hokie Bird.
- VT 69, @md 65 – 2/20/2008 – Lots happened this night. It was VT’s first win at md in ACC play. It was the night Dorenzo Hudson threw up on the court. And it was the night this happened… ROAD TRIP
- And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the 2007 Capital Classic in college park where I arm-curled Dorenzo Hudson, Jeff Allen, and Greivis Vasquez (aka Greasy Face-quez)
And now? uva is the closest conference rival. RIP, Weekend Warrior.