Posted on 01 March 2012.
Box Score — Another close game. Another close loss. This time the culprit was a combination of a long second-half scoring drought, poor ball handling, and the inability to hit clutch free throws. Sound familiar?
Virginia Tech lost another nail-biter Thursday night in Clemson, S.C., 58-56. The Hokies led for much of the first half, but clemson came roaring back and eventually took the lead and held on for the win.
Trailing 56-58 with 11 seconds to play, Clemson’s Andre Young was called for an offensive foul, giving the Hokies the ball with plenty of time. Tech got the ball across mid court where Seth Greenberg called a timeout.
Dorenzo Hudson inbounded the ball to Erick Green, who hesitated near half court before exploding down the right win and then cut to the basket where he fed a wide open Cadarian Raines in the lane for what appeared to be a game-tying dunk.
But Milton Jennings came from the back side and blocked the shot, but was called for the foul. Raines, a 55 percent free throw shooter, missed the first shot. clemson called a timeout. Raines then missed the second and clemson gathered the rebound as the final 2.2 seconds ticked off.
Erick Green’s streak of consecutive games with at least 10 points came to an end. After scoring only 2 points in the first half, Green hit a pair of three pointers in the second half and that was it.
Virginia Tech is now 4-11 in ACC play and 15-14 overall. The Hokies need a win Sunday against n.c. state to secure a winning record in the regular season and prevent a losing record at home versus ACC teams. Tech is currently 3-4 at home against the ACC this season.
Jarrell Eddie led the Hokies in scoring with 15 points. Raines had another good game with 12 points and 8 rebounds. Old Man Zo added 11 points including a trio of big three pointers that kept the Hokies in the game.
Eddie, despite leading Tech in scoring, had a really bad stretch in the second half. Trailing 39-45 Eddie turned it over leading to a Tanner Smith layup off the fast break at the other end giving the tigers an 8-point lead.
Hudson hit a jumper to keep the Hokies within striking distance, 41-47, but after a series of misses by both teams, Eddie delivered another lazy pass that was intercepted and turned into a fast break score made worse by the fact that Eddie fouled Smith from behind for the “and one.”
Smith missed the free throw and Eddie got the rebound, but then immediately turned it over with another lazy pass, his fifth turnover of the game. This time Eddie didn’t wait to foul, he fouled immediately after turning it over. It was his fourth personal and he went to bench.
Tech didn’t play very smart this evening and a prolonged (5+ minutes) scoring drought in the second half, which has become the norm as of late, doomed the Hokies.
Statistically, the Hokies played a whale of a game, shooting 50 percent from three-point range; 43 percent from the field; and while 55 percent at the free throw line is not particularly good, clemson managed just 56 percent. Not to mention the tigers were 0 for 10 from behind the arc.
But, the tigers made more free throws (14) than Virginia Tech attempted (11). Once again, if the Hokies had made just three more free throws, this game likely would have ended much differently.
Play-by-Play – We pick things up early in the 2nd half
39-40 Eddie hits a three at the shot clock buzzer
U16 Media Timeout Score 39-40 clemson
39-41 Clemson makes 1/2 FTs
– held ball, possession to VT
– Raines air balls off the inbounds pass
– clemson miss, rebound to CR
– Raines called for foul going for the rebound, his 2nd PF
– Green misses a three from the right win
– VT steal, clemson fouls
– Eddie misses a three
39-43 Dreadlocked kid scores for clemson
– Hokies 4+ minutes without a FG (here we go again)
U12 Media Timeout Score 39-43
– Hokies turn it over
– clemson turns it over
– another held ball, possession arrow to clemson (VT can’t hold onto the ball)
39-45 Booker hooks a shot over Raines
– Eddie turns it over
39-47 Smith scores off the VT turnover
41-47 Hudson breaks the 5+ minute FG drought with a jumper
– clemson miss, VT rebounds
– DFS bricks a three (bad, horrible shot)
– clemson misses, VT rebounds
– Hudson misses, VT rebounds
– Eddie commits ANOTHER bad pass turnover, then fouls at the other end, count the bucket
41-49 Smith scores AND gets fouled by Eddie (dumb plays at both ends by Eddie)
41-49 Smith misses the FT
– Eddie gets the rebound off the missed FT and then TURNS IT OVER AGAIN
– Eddie then gets called for his 4th personal foul (just not playing smart)
– Eddie has 5 turnovers
41-49 clemson misses 2 FTs
44-49 Green finally hits a three pointer (5 points)
– Timeout clemson
44-51 Young layup on the inbounds pass, VT standing around doing nothing
47-51 Hudson buries a three pointer
– VT 7/14 from three, 50 percent
– Young misses a three pointer
50-51 DFS gets a big offensive rebound, kicks out to Green for the three pointer
50-53 Young scores and gets fouled, will shoot a FT after the media timeout
U8 Media Timeout Score – 50-53 clemson
– Fastbreak point: VT 0, clemson 13
50-54 Young makes FT
– Eddie back in with 4 PFs
52-54 Raines scores with the hook shot in the lane
– Hudson misses the layup off the fast break off the Brown steal
– Clemson knocks loose ball out of bounds
– DFS and Eddie with 4 PFs
– Booker fouls, VT in the bonus
U4 Media Timeout Score 52-54 clemson
54-54 Eddie hits the tough shot off the dribble
54-56 Booker goes inside for the bucket over Raines
– Brown draws the foul
56-56 Brown makes 2 FTs
– 6th tie of the game, 2:50 left
– Hudson called for the block along the baseline
56-58 Smith makes 2 FTs
– Timeout VT, 2:13 left
– Eddie misses a three, Raines can’t put it back
– clemson misses, VT nearly steals, ball out of bounds on clemson
– Brown can’t control the ball, loses control while dribbling, turns it over, and commits the foul
– clemson misses the front end, VT rebound
– Raines misses, clemson rebound
– timeout clemson (19.6 seconds left)
– WOW! Offensive foul on clemson’s Young for pushing off (11.7 seconds left)
– Hokies ball with 11.7 seconds to play
– timeout VT, 7.5 seconds left
– Clemson fouls Raines after blocking his shot, 2.2 seconds
– Why Green passed, I don’t know. Green should have gone up and drawn the foul
56-58 Raines misses the first,
– timeout clemson
– Raines misses the 2nd, rebound to clemson, game over
Final Score: 56-58 clemson