- Height: 6’7″
- Weight: ~220 lbs.
- School: George Washington HS in Danville, VA
- Class: 2011
CLASS OF 2011 RANKINGS:
- #88 Overall
- #18 Power Forward
- #28 Overall
- #6 Power Forward
- #78 Overall
2009-10 SEASON (Season Complete):
- Final Junior Season Stats: Averaged 15.0 points per game and had at least 12 double-doubles by my count (including a 10 block performance)
- Team: 14-7, 5-3 in district regular season, WV District runners-up, lost in the Northwest Region Quarterfinals
- Feb. 25 (Northwest Region Quarters) – Stafford 72, GW 66 – C.J. had to sit with foul trouble and finished his season with just 5 points. He didn’t record his first FG until the 4th quarter. GW was eliminated, short of the state playoffs after being #1 in the state earlier in the year.
- Feb. 20 (District Finals) – Patrick Henry 61, GW 56 – Barksdale had 15 points on 6 FGs (1 three) and 2/2 from the line, to go with 11 rebounds and 5 blocks, as the Eagles in the Western Valley District Finals. But they did qualify for Regionals.
- Feb. 18 (District Semis) – GW 64, Halifax County 46 – The Eagles advanced to the Western Valley District finals behind 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 7 blocks. That’s three double-doubles in four games.
- Feb. 13 – GW 54, William Fleming 39 – C.J. scored 13 points and ripped away 14 rebounds as GW’s point guard returned from injury. Barksdale hit 5 FGs, including a three-pointer, and was 2/3 from the FT line. It was GW’s fifth straight win in closing the regular season. They finished 2nd in their district.
- Feb. 12 – GW 42, Franklin County 38 – Barksdale scored 1/3 of his team’s points, filling the stat sheet with 14 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 blocks. All of C.J.’s points were from the field as he did not attempt a FT.
- Feb. 8 – GW 69, Halifax County 51 – C.J. and the Eagles finally returned to action after all the snow. Barksdale had another double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. He hit 4 FGs and was 6/8 from the line.
- Jan. 28 – GW 46, LCA 45 (OT) – Barksdale was limited to just 8 points and 0 FTs as Lynchburg Christian Academy slowed the tempo in a wild game that went to OT thanks to a 5-point possession for LCA at the end of regulation.
- Jan. 26 – GW 61, Patrick Henry 50 – 23 points, 10 blocks, 4 assists, and 11/12 from the FT line for C.J. in a big district win. He is 28 of his last 32 from the FT line after struggling early in the year.
- Jan. 23 – Petersburg 73, GW 54 – GW, who was #1 in the state earlier in the year, got woodshedded by the new #1 team, and Cadarian Raines’s alma mater. Barksdale scored 18 of GW’s first 20 points and finished with 23 points and 5 rebounds. He has been hot from the line of late, hitting 6/7. He also added a three-pointer as part of his 8 FGs.
- Jan. 22 – GW 59, W. Fleming 31 – C.J. had 18 points on 7 FGs and 4/4 from the stripe to get GW their first district win. He also grabbed 8 rebounds.
- Jan. 19 – Franklin “Moonshine” County 63, GW 56 – Barksdale had 13 points and 12 rebounds but once again GW’s bark was worse than their bite, losing their fourth straight game. C.J. hit 5 FGs and 3/4 from the FT line.
- Jan. 16 – Dudley (NC) 60, GW 37 – C.J. had another double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds but without their starting point guard, who has a broken foot, they’ve lost 3 in a row. At least C.J. was 4/5 from the line tonight (something the Hokies could have used in their loss to fsu where they went 11/21 at the line). unc verbal commit P.J. Hairston had 19 for Dudley.
- Jan. 15 – Halifax 52, GW 50 (2 OT) – Barksdale limited to 8 points but adds 18 rebounds, 7 blocks, and 4 steals. GW has now lost two in a row to fall to 7-2 and has slipped from #1 in the state AAA rankings to #4 and likely will fall further.
- Jan. 5 – Patrick Henry 76, GW 53 – C.J. had 11 points and 12 rebounds, hitting 4 FGS, 2 3s, but was just 1 of 3 from the line.
- Dec. 29 – GW 80, Reidsville (NC) 69 – Named Tournament MVP after scoring 10 points, grabbing 14 rebounds, and blocking 6 shots in the title game of the Danville Register & Bee Holiday Shootout.
- Dec. 28 – GW 80, Eastern Alamance (NC) – Barksdale dominates with 25 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks to put the Eagles in the DR&BHS Championship Game. He hit 11 FGs and was 3/5 from the line.
- Dec. 26 – GW 65, Gretna 36 – C.J. had 9 points on 3 FGs and 3/8 FT shooting as GW held Gretna scoreless into the 2nd quarter in the First Round of the Danville Register & Bee Holiday Shootout.
- Dec. 12 – GW 76, Green Run 58 – Barksdale was barking tonight, tallying 26 points and 10 rebounds. He hit 10 FGs, 2 3s, and 4/5 FTs.
- Dec. 8 – GW 69, Dudley (NC) 62 – Dudley, a top NC team, blew a 17 point lead thanks in large part to Mr. C.J. Barksdale. Get this – he had 20 points, 22 rebounds, and 8 blocks against Dudley, who feature unc 2011 commit P.J. Hairston. Hairston, a 5-star recruit and #25 in the nation for ’11, scored 17 but had been averaging 38 ppg coming into this contest. C.J. hit 8 FGs and was 4/7 from the line.
- Dec. 5 – GW 71, Booker T 55 – C.J. scores 13 as the Eagles beat the #5 team in the state easily.
- Dec. 4 – GW 64, Parkview 45 – Barksdale goes for 19 points in his team’s opener.
- Averaged 18 points, 12 rebounds, and 4 blocks as a sophomore.
- Could end up being the highest rated recruit the Hokies land since Dell Curry 25 years ago.
- Had offers from florida, alabama, maryland, and virginia.
- Committed to VT on 12/27/09. Cannot sign until November 2010 at the earliest.
- His coach, Bobby Martin, played LB at VT in the mid-80s.
- VT offered him during his freshman season.
- Was listed around 180 pounds after his sophomore year but has reportedly bulked up since then into the 200s. Could play 3 or 4 for VT depending on his strength but most recruiters project him as a 4.
- GW-Danville has been a long time pipeline for the Hokies in football (Kenny Lewis, David Wilson, the Martins) but now it has paid off in basketball. Tech is far from “locking down the state” in basketball like they have to a degree in football, but they now have a verbal from a top recruit in 2011 to go along with three signees from the Class of 2009 (Erick Green, Ben Boggs, and Cadarian Raines). Tech has come a long way in the Commonwealth.
- Danville Register & Bee Holiday Shootout MVP in 2008 and 2009.
- Needs to improve foul shooting.
- Wears #42 for the GW Eagles
- Favorite Food: Fried chicken
- Favorite movie/show: Family Guy
- Favorite Player: Kevin Garnett
Photo courtesy of Traci White, Danville Register & Bee
Photo courtesy of Traci White, Danville Register & Bee