Guard | 6’5″, 220 lbs. | r-Senior
Stats: Dorenzo Hudson
Senior Year (Take 2):
- Became the 42nd Hokie to reach the 1,000 point mark. Hit the milestone against oklahoma state (the 12.31.11 edition) on a 3-pointer. He led Tech with 18 in that 67-61 win.
- Named Co-ACC Player of the Week on November 21st, 2011 after scoring 18 points vs monmouth, and 31 against florida international airport to help the Hokies win the VT Region in the Preseason NIT and advance to the semi-finals in NYC. Zo was 8-of-13 from the floor and a perfect 12-of-12 from the free throw line vs fiu.
Senior Year (Take 1):
- Played in 9 games before a lingering foot injury forced him to shut things down for the season and have surgery.
- Should qualify for a Medical Hardship and can return for the 2011-12 season.
- Named Third Team All-ACC for 2010.
- Named ACC Player of the Week for 12/18/09 to 1/3/10, the fourth Hokie to be named POTW.
- Became the 9th Hokie (and 10th time overall it happened) to score 40 points in a game when he scored 41 against seton hall on 1/2/10. Hit 20 of 21 FTs.
Changed from #2 to #5 for his sophomore season after Marcus Travis graduated (formerly #5). Is looking to battle for a starting spot at the shooting guard position.
Dorenzo could not join the team until the first semester completed in early December. After Dorenzo played sparingly in his first two games, he burst on the scene with 13 points in Tech’s first ACC game at wake. Three games later against richmond he poured in his season high of 14 points, but his minutes dwindled after that and he never hit double-digits again in points.
Known as a good outside shooter, Dorenzo struggled, hitting just 21% of his threes (10/47). He also looked bad from the line, hitting just 6/11. He is at his best when he attacks the rim and uses his size, as he has good inside moves. To do that effectively, he needs to be able to hit some outside shots to draw defenders.
His size should make him a good defender but he has not developed into a lockdown defender like Jamon Gordon (similar size).
Hudson had the embarrassment of vomiting on the court late in the first half at maryland, but battled through it and played significant minutes all game. Must have been that shrimp salad sandwich he had before the game.
******High School Accolades******
Rivals.com Class of 2007 Rankings:
- 4 stars
- #98 Overall
- #22 Shooting Guard
Scout.com Class of 2007 Rankings:
- 4 stars
- #14 Shooting Guard
- Played with fellow VT recruit Jeff Allen at Hargrave.
- 21 points per game as a Sophomore (Forest Hills, NC).
2006-07 Game Notes:
- 4/5 – Had 12 points in the 34th annual Capital Classic in College Park, MD. Teammate of VT recuits Malcolm Delaney and Jeff Allen in the game.
- 2/23 – Holy cow, Hargrave actually lost a game. They fell 86-85 to Patterson in the Champions Prep Basketball Classic at Appalachian State. Dorenzo Hudson had 15 points and three steals and Jeff Allen chipped in 13 points and nine rebounds. Hargrave is now 23-4.
- 2/15 – Dorenzo Hudson had 13 points and Jeff Allen tallied 10 with 8 rebounds (I think the statkeeper is making up his rebounds since he has exactly 8 in EVERY game) as the Hargrave Post-Grad team defeated Louisburg Junior College 104-72. Hargrave is 23-3 on the season. Dorenzo has been seeing more time and taking advantage of it as the season has gone on.
- 2/13 – On the same day that VT stunned unc at chapel hill, two Hokie recruits also got a win in chapel hill as the Hargrave Post-Grad team beat the unc JV team 104-80. Dorenzo Hudson had 15 points and 4 assists. Jeff Allen was the star of the game though with 22 points and 8 rebounds.
- 2/7 – Dorenzo Hudson had 20 points and Jeff Allen added 14 as the Hargrave post-grad team beat Patrick Henry Community College 156-63. Hargrave is 20-3 on the season.
- 2/4 – Dorenzo Hudson and Jeff Allen each scored 13 points in a 104-62 win over the Navy club team.
- 1/14/07 Hoophall Classic in Springfield, Mass: Dorenzo Hudson had 17 points. Just 1 for 7 on 3â€™s, but 6 of 14 overall and 4 for 4 from the line.
- 12/6/06 – Dorenzo Hudson had 16 points and 3 rebounds against Virginia Tech JV in a 107-71 win for the Hargrave Post-Grad team.