If you saw Tuesday night’s game, you basically saw Saturday’s game. For the second game in a row, you need to change the sheets, because we [pooped] the bed. I don’t know what bar the Hokies have been at since their win over #1 duke last Saturday, but can someone please go and wake them the [eff] up??? For the first time all season, the Hokies lost two ACC games in a row. And they couldn’t have picked a worse time…
Tuesday: Tech fell behind 27-10 in the first half to bc.
Today: VT trailed 24-9 (after a 16-3 clemson run). FYI: VT was trying out their new Nike Cement Shoes – early on they lost every 50/50 ball. clemson had 4 dunks in the first 10 minutes. VT had 14 turnovers in the first half. clemson grabbed several key offensive rebounds that turned into dunks (6 dunks to 0 on the game).
Tuesday: The Hokies made a run and trailed by just 8, 35-27 at the break.
Today: Tech went on a 12-1 run to close the game to 25-21, and trailed by just 34-30 at halftime.
Tuesday: Tech hit some 3s and were behind by just 45-39 early in the second half.
Today: VT hit a big 3 and trailed by just 39-35 with 16:29 to go in the game.
Tuesday: bc went on a 14-2 run to blow the game out at 59-41.
Today: clemson went on a 10-0 run to go up 49-35. In fact, VT scored just 2 points from the 16:29 mark to the 7:58 mark. That’s 8:30 minutes with 2 points.
Today: VT went on a 7-0 run to cut it to 51-44, but then the tigers used an 8-0 run to go up 59-44 and put the game away.
Honestly, does Virginia Tech deserve an NCAA bid right now? Hmm. Not sure we do. We certainly don’t in the last week.
Here were the keys to the game:
- Win the 3-pt % battle (the team that had shot from a higher % from deep had won 13 straight games): clemson hit 4/7 to start that game and won this battle 41% to 30%. Streak continues to 14 straight games.
- TB + VD = win: the Hokies actually did great here. Bell had a double-double with 10 points and a stunning 11 rebounds. Davila had just 4, but those 14 combined points normally were an automatic win. And Manny Atkins added 9 off the bench. So this was a stunner.
- Tech had 14 steals in the game, including 11 from their starters (but those turned into almost no fastbreak points because VT has no idea what to do on an odd-man rush).
So what went wrong?
- Erick Green had 0 points at the half.
- Instead of POW Jeff Allen we got MIA Jefff Allen – he had just 9 points and 5 rebounds for the game, and seemingly was invisible.
- VT had 15 offensive rebounds – that sounds like a good thing but it isn’t. The Hokies shot just 31% for the game. clemson, meanwhile, shot 49% for the game because they made extra passes and got easy looks. That’s that difference in this game.
- The Hokies made just 18 shots in the game (18/59). They only made 7 shots in the final 16:29 of the game.
- Tech had no answer to clemson’s defensive intensity. The Hokies spent more time 40-feet from the basket than they did in the paint. Let me walk you through a possession…. Point guard dribbles it up. Picks up his dribble near the jump circle. Passes to other guard near jump circle. Pass to Davila around the 3-point line. Start offensive possession.
- Here was a clemson possession: Push ball. Feed inside. VT double or triple team guy. Feed to wide open dunk. See ya, have a good night.
Flat out, the last two games, the Hokies played two teams that were hungrier than they were. Tech has been fat, drunk, and happy since the duke win. Considering they have a veteran, albeit small roster, that’s pathetic.
Tech had earned a first round bye in the ACC Tournament 4 of 6 years coming into this year. All they had to do was win once this week for a 5th bye, and they couldn’t. That’s pathetic. These seniors want a trip to the Big Dance so much, yet they did nothing this week to earn it.
As much crap as we give Frank Beamer for never winning the big game, at least he wins ALL the games we should, and most of the 50/50 games. Well, this Hokie basketball club could not this week. And for the third time in five years clemson stole something that belonged to the Hokies on the final day of the regular season. Eff you, clemson.
See you Thursday in Greensboro.