Spread: duke by 8.5
Doe Doe: Everyone has been talking about how good Cadarian Raines has been the last 3 weeks, and rightfully so (averaging just under 12 PPG over the last 6 games), but Dorian Finney-Smith has quietly turned things around, too. Look at the tale of his three seasons, so to speak.
|First 13 Games||8.4||8.1|
|Next 9 Games||1.6||5.3|
|Last 10 Games||8.4||6.7|
Dorian is also 11/28 from behind the arc in those last 10 games, a 39% clip (remember when he missed 25 straight shots at one point, from inside and outside the arc?). So congrats to him on finding his stroke again. The disappointment has been his foul shooting, he’s 6/17 in his last 4 games and hasn’t made both in a 2-shot situation in 8 opportunities. But all in all, he’s at least gotten back to the player he was early in the season.
Random: At one point on Thursday I gave Doe Doe a new nickname — Bambi — for how timid he is on the drive. Then he showed me up by getting two nice drive-and-finishes.
VT vs duke:
duke will not have Ryan Kelly on Friday night (so you’re sayin’ there’s a chance)… but VT had just 7 scholarship players on Thursday, forcing 5 guys to play 30+ minutes. There is some good news on Rankin, though, there’s a solid chance he’ll play Friday.
First Meeting – 2/2 at VT – #5 duke 75, VT 60
Second Meeting – 2/25 at duke – #5 duke 70, VT 65 (OT)
- Tech stayed in this game thanks to fantastic defense (duke was getting no transition opportunities which keep the score down) and great days from Raines, Green, and Hudson – 16 points each
- Green and Raines had shots at the end of regulation to win it for VT
- Rivers was too much off the dribble for Tech (and the refs treated him like Lebron — he had 17 FTAs leading to 23 points… Curry added 19)
- Ryan Kelly had 8 in this game (He’s out)
- VT was called for 25 fouls while duke just 13 (typical)
The Hokies stayed in that game at duke, and had a chance to win it, because of their transition defense. They made this it a half court game, and with Raines dominating inside, Green in the midrange, and Zo outside, VT had a chance to win. But with Tech likely tired after everyone playing so many minutes Thursday night, will the 7 or 8 scholarship guys have enough in the tank and their legs to slow down duke again?