Posted on 02 March 2010.
Tyrone Garland and the John Bartram High School Braves will play Imhotep for the Philly Public League title on Tuesday night at temple’s arena. Bartram has already captured the Public League Class AAAA title and will continue on in the state tournament regardless of the outcome on Tuesday.
For the season, Garland is averaging 25.0 ppg and has surpassed the 30 point mark four times this year. His season high is 43.
Tyrone, a 2010 signee of VT, has also moved up to third on the all time Philly Public League scoring list with over 2,100 career points. He surpassed Gerald Henderson of duke and now the NBA. Garland is also quickly gaining on Wilt Chamberlain. He won’t have a shot at #1 though, with Maureece Rice sitting at over 2,600 points.
Jarell Eddie saw his career at Cannon School near Charlotte end in the second round of the NCISAA State Tournament. Eddie finished the season averaging 22.5 ppg. At one point in the season, he had a streak of nine straight games of 20 or more points. By my calculations, Jarell came close to 3,000 career points (he passed 2,000 last year), but I believe he came up short.
Jarell will join the Hokies next season.
The GW Eagles season ended well short of expectations. The Danville school was #1 in the Virginia State AAA (top level) rankings earlier in the year, but lost in their first Northwest Region Playoff game to Stafford. GW also lost in the district finals.
C.J. Barksdale averaged 15.0 ppg on the season and had at least 12 double-doubles from the boxscores I could find in 21 games.
C.J. is a verbal commit for the 2011 class. You have to be excited about the inside presence he will bring to VT in two years.
Posted in Home, Recruiting News
Posted on 21 February 2010.
I have updated the pages for both Virginia Tech 2010 signees (Jarell Eddie and Tyrone Garland) and 2011 verbal commit, C.J. Barksdale of GW-Danville in Virginia to show their game stats to date. Click on the names below to see their page and full season data.
- Jarell was nominated for the 2010 McDonald’s All-American games recently, one of 32 players in NC chosen.
- He’s averaging 22.3 ppg through 27 games.
- Eddie scored 20+ points in 9 straight games before the streak was snapped a week ago. Of course, he responded with 21 the next game.
- Jarell started the season with 33 points and 10 rebounds on back-to-back nights to win MVP honors of the Cannon Classic in mid-November.
- He has at least 12 double-doubles this year.
- Tyrone recently became just the 5th player in Philadelphia public school history to eclipse the 2,000 point mark – Wilt Chamberlain and Gerald Henderson are also on that list.
- Garland is averaging 24.6 ppg in the 20 games I have stats for (I’m missing 2 games).
- Garland has surpassed the 30 point mark 4 times, including scoring 39 and 32 on back-to-back nights in early January.
- His best game was his 43 point effort in mid-January. He missed 11 FTs in that game so he could have easily hit 50.
- Tyrone was also nominated for the 2010 McDonald’s All-American games recently, one of 31 players in PA chosen.
- Barksdale is barking his way to 15.5 ppg on the season through 20 games. Team qualified for VA Regionals starting next week. Eagles lost Western Valley District Finals.
- C.J. has 12 double-doubles by my count, including a game he had 23 points and 10 blocks in.
- Best game of the year came back in December when he had 20 points, 22 rebounds, and 8 blocks in a win over Dudley, one of the top teams in NC.
Posted in Recruiting News
Posted on 10 July 2009.
photo courtesy of phillyhoops.com
MaxPreps.com is reporting that Tyrone Garland, a 6-foot-1, 165-pound point guard from Bartram High in Philadelphia, will announce his decision to attend Virginia Tech at a press conference later today at 5pm. Read more about Garland at maxpreps.com
. (Thanks for the tip, @hokieguru
Posted in Around the World (Wide Web), Recruiting News